Monday, November 22, 2004

road trip


tracks
Originally uploaded by jane1000.
Every single day I cross these railroad tracks on my walk to Elsewhere and I love this view when I turn my head to the right. I can't explain why but it makes me happy every time I see it. I've been here for 3 weeks and I've been so consumed with working on my installation that I've hardly spent any time outside of downtown Greensboro.
Yesterday I went an a road trip by myself down to Seagrove, which is a very small town on route 705 that's famous for pottery. On the way, I stopped in Ashboro and found the most incredible Antique Mall. Note: Antique malls are saving the small towns of America. This observation is by no means exclusive to North Carolina. Every road trip Ross & I have been on we take secondary highways and avoid interstates and freeways like the plague. This takes us through tons of little towns you'd never see otherwise and always there is a long, hellish drive through a mile or two of crappy little strip mall after strip mall before you arrive at Main Street. This street usually consists of interesting heritage buildings, sidewalks with trees, and is often a shell of its former self except for the antique stores. It's so sad. Greensboro is not a small town. It has a population of 300,000 yet the same thing has happened here. The other night I got lost driving by myself outside the downtown area and it was a total Big Box Nightmare! Without any outstanding landmarks I drove back and forth through a repetitive blur of Pet Depots, Bed bath & Beyonds, Computers Etcs - you catch my drift. I was very happy to make my way back to the beautiful old buildings and unique businesses on lovely tree lined Elm Street.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought you would like to know Edna is well and has been peeing on our carpet lately. Duke humped Tessa’s leg. Whats in that hush puppy? I'm sure its iiiiinnnn!! the zone plan. Hope all is well, looks like you're taking in all that Greensboro has to offer. Have fun, your little lover Ard666.