Friday, June 23, 2006

Paradise Found

I arrived safe & sound at the Atlantic Center for the Arts on Monday night and all I can say is that it is beyond my greatest expectations. Everyone is working on really smart and interesting projects, the facilities are fantastic, the location is beautiful, the food is excellent. I have many new best friends.
Aside from the humidity contributing to the Bozo the Clown Coif I’m sporting, everything is smokingly awesome.
My work is going really well and I’m feeling like I will be able to bring my art to a new level while I’m here. I had an excellent meeting with Marlene McCarty yesterday. I feel really privileged to have this opportunity to get feedback from her. You can hear her talk about her work on the local NPR station and see it online at Sikkema Jenkins Gallery (who, perhaps not coincidently, also happens to represent several of my other favourite artists: Kara Walker, Vik Muniz & Wangechi Mutu). The women in our group are also really interesting and I’ve had many great conversations about their projects and really good discussions about where Janie Jones can go. Some of them have info on the web so I’ll figure that out and post links to their work.

No comments: